Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover forgotten airport base station password

I was just reading the support article on updating the firmware on airport base station. It looks like I have forgotten the device's password. How can recover the password? I really want to update to 7.9.1 (what I read to be the latest firmware update for my airport base station.) My airport is not shown in the list of my Apple devices in the list below. It **is** currently working

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 11:00 AM

Kind of a Catch 22 situation here.

You can usually retrieve the Base Station and Wireless passwords by clicking on the Base Station menu in AirPort Utility, but in order to reach that point, your Mac is going to have to have remembered or stored the password to get to that point.

Try the following:

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the AirPort, and a smaller window will appear

Click on Edit in that smaller window

If your Mac remembers the password.....even though you have forgotten what it is.......click on the Base Station menu at the uppermost top of the screen......up where you see the other menus like File, Window, Help, etc.

Click on Show Passwords and your passwords will be revealed

If you cannot get past the Edit step in the instructions above though, then you will have to reset the AirPort's Base Station password.

Follow the instructions in the Apple Support document linked below for a Soft Reset.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 11:00 AM in response to sunjammer72

Kind of a Catch 22 situation here.

You can usually retrieve the Base Station and Wireless passwords by clicking on the Base Station menu in AirPort Utility, but in order to reach that point, your Mac is going to have to have remembered or stored the password to get to that point.

Try the following:

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the AirPort, and a smaller window will appear

Click on Edit in that smaller window

If your Mac remembers the password.....even though you have forgotten what it is.......click on the Base Station menu at the uppermost top of the screen......up where you see the other menus like File, Window, Help, etc.

Click on Show Passwords and your passwords will be revealed

If you cannot get past the Edit step in the instructions above though, then you will have to reset the AirPort's Base Station password.

Follow the instructions in the Apple Support document linked below for a Soft Reset.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

How to recover forgotten airport base station password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.