Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My WiFi connection says “weak security” how can I update my AirPort Extreme router?

My WiFi address says”weak security” how can I update my AirPort Extreme router? Or improve my WiFi security?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:35 PM

Even the "most recent" AirPort Extreme was designed more than 8 years ago, so the hardware is not going to be able handle newer WiFi security protocols like WPA3 or use 802.11ax, also known as WiFi 6.

The best that you can do security wise on an AirPort router is use the WPA 2 Personal wireless security setting.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 12:35 PM in response to capejobob

Even the "most recent" AirPort Extreme was designed more than 8 years ago, so the hardware is not going to be able handle newer WiFi security protocols like WPA3 or use 802.11ax, also known as WiFi 6.

The best that you can do security wise on an AirPort router is use the WPA 2 Personal wireless security setting.

Jan 1, 2021 12:26 PM in response to capejobob

Your AirPort Extreme should support WPA2, which will be sufficient to address the "weak security" message. To do so:

1. Open Airport Utility (it's under the Utilities folder in your Applications folder)
  2. Double-click the AirPort image
  3. Click Edit
  4. Click the Wireless tab
  5. Under Wireless Security, select WPA2 Personal

Jan 1, 2021 12:38 PM in response to 6x6

Your AirPort Extreme should support WPA2, which will be sufficient to address the "weak security" message.

Not quite when the "weak security" message on an iPhone or iPad (connected to a WPA2 Personal network) links to an Apple document that says to use WPA3 for better security or WPA2/WPA3 Transitional for compatibility with older devices.

But WPA2 might be good enough for most folks for another year or two though.

My WiFi connection says “weak security” how can I update my AirPort Extreme router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.