Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware bytes

I seem to recall that Apple support's position on Malware bytes was that iMac did not need it. Can someone verify this is correct or is Malware bytes an app that users should have?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 6:11 PM

I have never needed any app of that type. See the following: macOS - Security - Apple

However if I ever did, Malwarebytes would be the only one I would consider using. if you decide to use it be sure to get a legitimate copy from their website: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

2 replies

Jan 1, 2021 6:12 PM in response to DoninHB

It's not really necessary unless you are pretty careless and download adware, download from sites you don't know or trust or use a Torrent to steal software you did not pay for. That being said, it's fine to install and if you want to run it from time to time that is fine too. In that case I'd probably buy the software to support the developer.

Malware bytes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.