Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do you need additional cellular service to operate a apple watch

I am new to apple watch. Do you need additional cell service to operate a watch?

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 1:33 PM

No.

If you get a GPS only Apple Watch, or a cellular Apple Watch and DO NOT activate the cellular radio, then you can do Everything an activated cellular model can do As Long As the iPhone is nearby.

If you have cellular mode, and you want to leave your iPhone at home, but stay connected, getting/making phone calls, messaging, current weather, etc... while you are out for a walk, run, bike ride, etc... then you would activate the cellular radio.

An Activated Cellular Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and cellular carriers that support the Apple Watch charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to the iPhone's cellular bill. Here is a list of carriers that support the Apple Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

NOTE: I have had a GPS only Apple Watch for 2 years, and since my iPhone is basically glued to my hip (front pocket actually), I get to says that $10/month and my Apple Watch cost $100 less because it did not have the cellular radio. I've been very happy.

On the other side of the coin, my Wife also had the GPS only for 2 years, but this Christmas she wanted the cellular model, because she does not like carrying your iPhone with her on walks and bike rides and there are times she has forgotten her iPhone. It was fun testing it out. Me with my GPS only Apple Watch and her with the Cellular Apple Watch trading phone calls, messaging, Walkie-Talkie, etc... each from our own Apple Watches (where mine was relaying things via my iPhone in my pocket and she using just her Apple Watch).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 1:33 PM in response to louis cuomo

No.

If you get a GPS only Apple Watch, or a cellular Apple Watch and DO NOT activate the cellular radio, then you can do Everything an activated cellular model can do As Long As the iPhone is nearby.

If you have cellular mode, and you want to leave your iPhone at home, but stay connected, getting/making phone calls, messaging, current weather, etc... while you are out for a walk, run, bike ride, etc... then you would activate the cellular radio.

An Activated Cellular Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and cellular carriers that support the Apple Watch charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month added to the iPhone's cellular bill. Here is a list of carriers that support the Apple Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

NOTE: I have had a GPS only Apple Watch for 2 years, and since my iPhone is basically glued to my hip (front pocket actually), I get to says that $10/month and my Apple Watch cost $100 less because it did not have the cellular radio. I've been very happy.

On the other side of the coin, my Wife also had the GPS only for 2 years, but this Christmas she wanted the cellular model, because she does not like carrying your iPhone with her on walks and bike rides and there are times she has forgotten her iPhone. It was fun testing it out. Me with my GPS only Apple Watch and her with the Cellular Apple Watch trading phone calls, messaging, Walkie-Talkie, etc... each from our own Apple Watches (where mine was relaying things via my iPhone in my pocket and she using just her Apple Watch).

do you need additional cellular service to operate a apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.