Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur = BIG ISSUES

I am having an awful time getting my admin access to work on my computer now. I cannot get it to unlock to add a user, I cannot update security or passwords, it only lets me update the password to log into my computer at start up. I have a MacBook Pro. I also cannot get Touch ID to work at all. I tied re-adding a Touch ID and it will not let me. The admin access I am supposed to have DOES NOT work.

Please help.

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 8:09 PM

Nevermind - I figured it out:

Hi,

So I have a 2019 MacBook Pro. These models have a T2 security on it and it needs reset.

The Apple T2 Security Chip is Apple's second-generation, custom silicon for Mac. The T2 chip delivers capabilities to your Mac, such as encrypted storage and secure bootcapabilities, enhanced image signal processing, and security for Touch ID data. Learn more about hardware security in Apple devices.

The link below walks you through how to reset the T2 chip and once you reset it - you can update your Touch ID :)

reset the SMC

once I followed this- I was able to reset my Touch ID and it works now for everything!

Hope this helps! I

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 8:09 PM in response to krisdr

Nevermind - I figured it out:

Hi,

So I have a 2019 MacBook Pro. These models have a T2 security on it and it needs reset.

The Apple T2 Security Chip is Apple's second-generation, custom silicon for Mac. The T2 chip delivers capabilities to your Mac, such as encrypted storage and secure bootcapabilities, enhanced image signal processing, and security for Touch ID data. Learn more about hardware security in Apple devices.

The link below walks you through how to reset the T2 chip and once you reset it - you can update your Touch ID :)

reset the SMC

once I followed this- I was able to reset my Touch ID and it works now for everything!

Hope this helps! I

Big Sur = BIG ISSUES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.