Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest version

I have a MacBook version Yosemite 10.10.5. I went to about this Mac and then software update. It starts checking for updates but then says no updates available. How do I get the latest version of MacOS?

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 10:24 PM

You can access later versions of macOS from links in this Apple article which has instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer (recommended):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Unfortunately Apple has removed the pages showing the hardware requirements for each version of macOS making it difficult for regular users to know which OS is compatible with their hardware. If you provide us with the exact model of your Mac, then we can tell you the latest version of macOS which your hardware supports. You can get the exact model by clicking on the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or you can enter your serial number here or here.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 10:24 PM in response to Lcvc1815

You can access later versions of macOS from links in this Apple article which has instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer (recommended):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Unfortunately Apple has removed the pages showing the hardware requirements for each version of macOS making it difficult for regular users to know which OS is compatible with their hardware. If you provide us with the exact model of your Mac, then we can tell you the latest version of macOS which your hardware supports. You can get the exact model by clicking on the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac" or you can enter your serial number here or here.

Jan 2, 2021 11:05 AM in response to Old_Mac_2012

Old_Mac_2012 wrote:

Anyone knows where I can get the Catalina installer at a different website?
Thank for any help to get me out of this conundrum.

I have already provided this information to you in your own thread (with another update just a few minutes ago):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252255474?answerId=254272918022&page=1

Catalina is only available from the App Store.

Jan 1, 2021 10:41 PM in response to Lcvc1815

I have the same trouble too.

I am trying to get a newer OC, for example, Catalina 10.15.7 which is compatible with my 2012 MacBook pro.

My problem is that I am having hard times to sign in App Store. Every time I wanted to download Catalina from Apple and it lead me to the App Store and I can't download it before I can sign in.

It keeps telling me to type in password followed by the verification code., and the verification code has been sent to me and I should get it from the notification. But I simply don't get any notification and I don;t have the verification code to sign in.

So much for the download directly from App Store.

Anyone knows where I can get the Catalina installer at a different website?

Thank for any help to get me out of this conundrum.

Latest version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.