Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad doesn’t recognize 256 GB Sandisk flash drive — formatted exFat

Hello everyone,

My iPad Pro 2020 is not seeing my USB flash drive. Just got a new Sandisk 256 GB with a dual USB-C/USB-A configuration.

• I’ve formatted the flash drive in Windows 10 in exFAT.
  • I’ve updated iPadOS to 14.3.
  • Windows computer recognizes the flash drive both through the USB-C end and the USB-A end — so no hardware problems with the flash drive.

But my iPad will not see it when plugged in via the USB-C port. I know my iPad USB-C port works because it charges.

Anyone have any ideas about or experience with this? I know other users of this drive have had success (according to their reviews).

Does Windows write some kind of header that iPad can’t recognize?

I’m at a loss.

Thanks for your input!

M.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 6:09 PM

Probably.

External drives for use with an iPad all need to be formatted/reformatted, if needed, by a Mac ONLY.

A Windows PC will not work.

You need to find a friend or family member that owns a Mac to help you reformat that drive

OR

Call and make an appointment with your nearest, “local” Apple Store location to help get that flash memory drive formatted for use with your iPad.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 6:09 PM in response to MahlonBouldin

Probably.

External drives for use with an iPad all need to be formatted/reformatted, if needed, by a Mac ONLY.

A Windows PC will not work.

You need to find a friend or family member that owns a Mac to help you reformat that drive

OR

Call and make an appointment with your nearest, “local” Apple Store location to help get that flash memory drive formatted for use with your iPad.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

IPad doesn’t recognize 256 GB Sandisk flash drive — formatted exFat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.