Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Consolidating itunes files - I'm a bit lost.

Mi itunes library is stored on an external drive in the itunes media folder. At least, it was...

I connected my Kindle to my laptop, and Windows allocated it the drive letter usually associated with my itunes drive. Long story short, my itunes files are no longer in the itunes media folder. They are still on the same hard drive, but now sit in the root. I'd love to move them back into the itunes media folder, but I don't see how. I can't use the consolidate option, as the drive isn't big enough to store two copies of everything (I do have a spare hard drive of the same capacity, if that helps).

My itunes media folder is in E:\iTunes\iTunes Media (which is where I'd like my media files to be again), but those files now live in E:\. Itunes preferences show E:\ as the location of my library, so I can access it fine, it just looks very unwieldy (a mass of individual folders in the root of a drive is always going to appear messy).

is there a simple solution?

To avoid this happening again, is there a way to ensure that Windows can't change an allocated external drive letter?

Many thanks.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 5:35 PM

Any letter will do. I was using X: as an eXample.

1. With iTunes closed copy your working set of iTunes library files* from their current location into X:\iTunes. (* The .itl file, supporting files, and the Album Artwork folder)
  2. Use the shift-start-iTunes method to choose a new library and open X:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl.
  3. Check that the library is correctly able to play media.
  4. Used Edit > Preferences > Advanced to reset the media folder to X:\iTunes\iTunes Media.
  5. As you complete step 4. iTunes may offer to consolidate the library, otherwise use File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files, and tick Rearrange Files if not greyed out.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 5:35 PM in response to horace98

Any letter will do. I was using X: as an eXample.

1. With iTunes closed copy your working set of iTunes library files* from their current location into X:\iTunes. (* The .itl file, supporting files, and the Album Artwork folder)
  2. Use the shift-start-iTunes method to choose a new library and open X:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl.
  3. Check that the library is correctly able to play media.
  4. Used Edit > Preferences > Advanced to reset the media folder to X:\iTunes\iTunes Media.
  5. As you complete step 4. iTunes may offer to consolidate the library, otherwise use File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files, and tick Rearrange Files if not greyed out.

tt2

Jan 3, 2021 10:47 AM in response to horace98

Hmm. If I've understood correctly the media folder preference was incorrectly set to E:\ from E:\iTunes\iTunes Media and then Keep organized was triggered, moving content up two layers of folders without deleting it. As you've rightly concluded you cannot get iTunes to consolidate back down to the original path without doubling the size of the media stored on the drive, for which there isn't room. You can either consolidate to X:\iTunes\iTunes on another drive and then copy the library files into X:\iTunes, or use a script I've written called ConsolidateByMoving to do what iTunes cannot. See also Make a split library portable - Apple Community for general background on manipulating libraries.

tt2

Jan 3, 2021 12:35 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you, tt2 - yes, it is exactly as you describe. A couple of rather potent festive martinis led me to some split-second decisions that were less than wise, it seems.

My current portable drive is a few years old now, so it would be prudent to transfer the library to my new one.

May I ask you to elaborate on the process to consolidate to the new drive? I've just connected the new portable drive and assigned it the letter X.

Thanks again - your help is greatly appreciated.

Consolidating itunes files - I'm a bit lost.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.