Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk not appear on utility disk

Disk not appear on utility disk on my MacBook Pro 2010

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 12:49 PM

If it doesn't appear at all that is pretty terminal. You can spend $100 on a utility such as Diskwarrior which might, or might not, be able to do anything. For certain I would never trust the drive again. If you have recent backups then just look into getting a new drive. People posting after me will likely tell you to get rid of a 10 year old model and buy something newer but I love the old Macs and they do what I need. The nice thing about the old ones is you can do a lot of repairs yourself. Drop a 1TB drive into that for <$100 and you're back in business. Make it a SSD for about $100+ and it will be a lot faster.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 12:49 PM in response to adam76133

If it doesn't appear at all that is pretty terminal. You can spend $100 on a utility such as Diskwarrior which might, or might not, be able to do anything. For certain I would never trust the drive again. If you have recent backups then just look into getting a new drive. People posting after me will likely tell you to get rid of a 10 year old model and buy something newer but I love the old Macs and they do what I need. The nice thing about the old ones is you can do a lot of repairs yourself. Drop a 1TB drive into that for <$100 and you're back in business. Make it a SSD for about $100+ and it will be a lot faster.

Disk not appear on utility disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.