Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 iMac

I know I’m probably beating around a dead bush here. If I Upgrade my iMac2008 10.5.8

to 6GM or ram and a much larger SSD Drive. Could I install a newer MAC OS? And have it working good enough for the kids to use.

id only be throwing under 200 bucks at it for upgrades.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 7:21 PM

All that Mac will run is El Capitan but it will run very well with as much memory as it can use and an SSD. However, you ought to decide beforehand exactly what you intend to do with it. Most games will require a more recent operating system, and Mail seems to be having trouble coping with recent email security protocols (apparently; Mail's problems arose only recently).

So yes it will run well, but it will never be capable of doing something El Capitan can't do.

Upgrading from OS X 10.5.8 "Leopard" isn't exactly straightforward either. You will first need to obtain a retail Snow Leopard DVD which Apple no longer sells, install it, then update it (that gives you the App Store), then finally upgrade to El Cap from the App Store. Your $200 budget needs review.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 7:21 PM in response to Maritime_Man

All that Mac will run is El Capitan but it will run very well with as much memory as it can use and an SSD. However, you ought to decide beforehand exactly what you intend to do with it. Most games will require a more recent operating system, and Mail seems to be having trouble coping with recent email security protocols (apparently; Mail's problems arose only recently).

So yes it will run well, but it will never be capable of doing something El Capitan can't do.

Upgrading from OS X 10.5.8 "Leopard" isn't exactly straightforward either. You will first need to obtain a retail Snow Leopard DVD which Apple no longer sells, install it, then update it (that gives you the App Store), then finally upgrade to El Cap from the App Store. Your $200 budget needs review.

2008 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.