Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app plays ripped CDs everywhere except on Apple TVs

I have 2 Macbook Pros, an iMac, an iPhone, an iPad, and 3 Apple TVs, all with the same store account and the same iCloud account. The iMac has an optical drive, so I use it to rip CDs.

Thanks to the magic of iCloud and iTunes Match (I guess) those ripped tracks go into my library and I can play back those tracks anywhere—well, almost anywhere:

• MacBook Pro 1: ✅
  • MacBook Pro 2: ✅
  • iMac: ✅
  • iPhone: ✅
  • iPad: ✅
  • Apple TV family room: ❌
  • Apple TV media room: ❌
  • Apple TV master bedroom: ❌

What the?! 😠 The Music app works fine on other platforms, just not on Apple TVs (4th generation). And on Apple TV the Music app can indeed play tracks purchased through the iTunes store, just not ripped tracks or other imported music (such as original compositions). Those just give a spinning gear—forever.

If we want to play such music through an Apple TV, we have to start it on another device and then stream it over Airplay to an Apple TV. We shouldn't have to, though!

Anyone have any ideas why and how to fix it? 🤔

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:01 AM

Yesterday I have updated tvOS to version 14.4 beta and the problem is solved.

Similar questions

2 replies

Music app plays ripped CDs everywhere except on Apple TVs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.