Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caller echo with iPhone 12 and Carplay

I recently purchased an iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Mini for my partner. Prior to that we had an iPhone X and iPhone 8. Before upgrading phones, we purchased a Kenwood DMX47S unit for our car to use CarPlay and it worked great.

However, after upgrading to the 12's in December, the person on the other end of a phone call will hear an echo of their voice when we are plugged into CarPlay. If we unplug and use the Bluetooth without CarPlay - no echo. If we go back to using our older iPhones - no echo.

The least common denominator here are the iPhone 12's. The car audio technicians were unaware of the issue and unsuccessful at troubleshooting it. We also upgraded the Kenwood firmware but it made no difference. Kenwood support was unaware of an issue too.

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 7:45 AM

Just installed Kenwood Stereo for my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport with bluetooth and Carplay and I'm having the same echoeing problem. I have an iphone 11pro and who ever calls in has extreme echoeing on their end....I've reached out to apple...jeep dealership and Verizon in trying to figure out the problem before heading back to Banghart's. After trouble shooting with different phones, different USB cables, updating software , lowering volume and moving microphone location, Verizon informed me that the problem is either the wiring used in the install is not compatible or problem with the installation it self or the microphone installed does not have a noise canceling feature....again, the problem is only with the USB not when using bluetooth.

Additionally, a temporary fix if your carrier is Verizon is going to settings....cellular.....cellular data options....voice and data and shutting of "VoLTE" ( a verizon feature) this stops the echoing but you lose access to data during call...which is extremely inconvenient as when you get out of the car ..you have to turn it back on again...on off ..on off ...ridiculous.

There has to be a permanent fix...

Heading back to Banghart's to see what needs to be done..

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 7:45 AM in response to Colinleopower

Just installed Kenwood Stereo for my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport with bluetooth and Carplay and I'm having the same echoeing problem. I have an iphone 11pro and who ever calls in has extreme echoeing on their end....I've reached out to apple...jeep dealership and Verizon in trying to figure out the problem before heading back to Banghart's. After trouble shooting with different phones, different USB cables, updating software , lowering volume and moving microphone location, Verizon informed me that the problem is either the wiring used in the install is not compatible or problem with the installation it self or the microphone installed does not have a noise canceling feature....again, the problem is only with the USB not when using bluetooth.

Additionally, a temporary fix if your carrier is Verizon is going to settings....cellular.....cellular data options....voice and data and shutting of "VoLTE" ( a verizon feature) this stops the echoing but you lose access to data during call...which is extremely inconvenient as when you get out of the car ..you have to turn it back on again...on off ..on off ...ridiculous.

There has to be a permanent fix...

Heading back to Banghart's to see what needs to be done..

Jan 22, 2021 3:03 PM in response to Colinleopower

I have the same issue, but it persisted from my iPhone X to my iPhone 12. I have a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, and people keep telling me they hear a strong echo in the background of themselves (probably the car speakers). I just called my wife today while she was in the car (she has an iPhone Xs Max), and I could hear myself echo-ing really bad.

Jan 6, 2021 5:02 PM in response to Colinleopower

Hello Colinleopower,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand callers are hearing an echo during a phone call with the use of CarPlay in your vehicle. We'll be happy to help.

Excellent job by isolating this behavior with the USB cable. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest to use another USB cable that's connected from your iPhone to the vehicle. Then, test and see if callers continue to hear an echo.

In addition, let's follow the recommended steps outlined here: If you need help with CarPlay

Kind regards.

Jan 10, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Colinleopower

Colinleopower,

Thanks for getting back to us and for verifying that information. Were you able to follow the article that was previously advised? If not, let's follow each of the steps that's outlined within the article to help troubleshoot CarPlay: If you need help with CarPlay

In addition, you'll want to see if a carrier settings update is available. Here's how: Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Cheers.

Jan 15, 2021 9:23 AM in response to Carplay101

When using the temporary fix and you lose data, I'm guessing you also lose the ability to use Google or Apple maps too, right?

What an awful temporary fix.

My less awful temporary fix is to use an airpod for phone calls while the phone is plugged in. Not the worst but not what I want to be doing either. At the very least I don't lose the GPS functionality of CarPlay while on a call.

I also tried setting up a shortcut for when I connect to AirPlay and make calls to connect to the AirPods but shortcuts is somewhat limited at this point.

I pray there is a solution.

Caller echo with iPhone 12 and Carplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.