Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection problem with a USB keyboard

Mac mini M1 forgets that it has a USBwindows keyboard connected to it. It usually works fine and then I have to disconnect and then connect and introduce them again. Is this normal. The keyboard manufacturer said I needed to buy their Mac version.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 7:48 PM

The manufacturer should know best whether their Windows keyboard is compatible with the M1 Macs. While I would expect a USB keyboard to just work, perhaps it has some special keys or features that causes problems with a Mac (or perhaps an M1 Mac in particular perhaps due to the USB controller used in that keyboard). It is known that several USB chipsets for third party USB devices are not compatible with the M1 Macs.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 7:48 PM in response to woodsmanNW

The manufacturer should know best whether their Windows keyboard is compatible with the M1 Macs. While I would expect a USB keyboard to just work, perhaps it has some special keys or features that causes problems with a Mac (or perhaps an M1 Mac in particular perhaps due to the USB controller used in that keyboard). It is known that several USB chipsets for third party USB devices are not compatible with the M1 Macs.

Jan 31, 2021 7:42 PM in response to jbjoret

yepM1 mini doesnt recognize a brand new magic usb apple keybord

actually it would recognize any keyboard and then I remembered it used to work

before I got the adaptor for the 2nd hdmi monitor that now goes to thunderport

so my old magic keyboard works - seems like - mostly

but the brand new apple magic usb keyboard is not recognized by the 2021 M1 Mac mini

Connection problem with a USB keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.