Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropping Wifi connectivity

My mac losses its wifi connection but the system preferences network still shows the mac is connected. To get it connected I have to turn wifi off and then back on. I'm about to start another semester teaching using Zoom and if this happens during a class it will not sit well with the students, or me for that matter.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 4:53 PM

Monty Trofel Said:

"Dropping Wifi connectivity: My mac losses its wifi connection but the system preferences network still shows the mac is connected. To get it connected I have to turn wifi off and then back on. I'm about to start another semester teaching using Zoom and if this happens during a class it will not sit well with the students, or me for that matter."

-------

Two Thoughts:

I. Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for WiFi) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

II. Try Ethernet Meanwhile:

If it keeps disconnecting, try using Ethernet (hardwired-connection), rather than Wi-Fi (Wireless Connection). So, how close are you to the router? If close, then try Ethernet. For a newer Mac, you'd likely need this adapter: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 4:53 PM in response to Monty Trofel

Monty Trofel Said:

"Dropping Wifi connectivity: My mac losses its wifi connection but the system preferences network still shows the mac is connected. To get it connected I have to turn wifi off and then back on. I'm about to start another semester teaching using Zoom and if this happens during a class it will not sit well with the students, or me for that matter."

-------

Two Thoughts:

I. Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for WiFi) become manipulated, technically.  So, reset both on your Mac.

II. Try Ethernet Meanwhile:

If it keeps disconnecting, try using Ethernet (hardwired-connection), rather than Wi-Fi (Wireless Connection). So, how close are you to the router? If close, then try Ethernet. For a newer Mac, you'd likely need this adapter: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Jan 4, 2021 4:21 PM in response to Monty Trofel

I have a mac mini and always use zoom. I have never experienced this issue.

Are you on a laptop?

Unless your on verizon they could be throttling your bandwidth.

If your doing this during prime hours you could be getting 'interference' from your neighbors.

Move closer to your router, try not using wifi repeaters or extenders either.

It may be your router. Try going straight into your ethernet port and see if the problem continues.

If not you may need a faster MBPS speed from your internet provider.

Dropping Wifi connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.