Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have erased my Mac prior to selling but now I can’t get OS X to install please help

I have erased my Mac prior to selling but now I can’t get OS X to install please help

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 1:57 AM

Depending on Age of iMac, it may work from Internal Recovery Mode. Shutdown and disconnect any external drives. Connect to router via Ethernet cable. Startup and immediately hold the three key all at the same time Command + Option + r. It will connect to Apple Servers and a Globe will appear slowly if internet connection and Servers are slow. Once it loads and presented with options, choose Install macOS. It will offer the most recent available version Compatible with this machine. Once it is finished and restarts with successful installation - it is done. When Set-up Assist appears just power down computer via Power button.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 1:57 AM in response to MixtheMasterchef

Depending on Age of iMac, it may work from Internal Recovery Mode. Shutdown and disconnect any external drives. Connect to router via Ethernet cable. Startup and immediately hold the three key all at the same time Command + Option + r. It will connect to Apple Servers and a Globe will appear slowly if internet connection and Servers are slow. Once it loads and presented with options, choose Install macOS. It will offer the most recent available version Compatible with this machine. Once it is finished and restarts with successful installation - it is done. When Set-up Assist appears just power down computer via Power button.

Jan 5, 2021 2:14 AM in response to PRP_53

It’s late 2012 El Capitan was installed...but now even though I managed to download on to the main drive (renamed Master) the El Capitan OS X .dmg from apple older versions

it won’t install from the location it just wants to connect to the to Apple site and install an internet version/ download but fails and tells me it can’t load at this time.

FYI I did de-authorise the Mac before erasing with full security the disc

Jan 5, 2021 4:38 AM in response to MixtheMasterchef

Since the machine is going to be Sold, No issue regarding signing out of iCloud and Find my Mac as long as when re-installing El Capitan no user account was created. If Setup Assist was never completed - your User ID is fine.

Now, if it is desired to remove this device from any association to your User ID - go to Here at Apple called Manage My ID. Log In using your Apple ID and Password and look for this specific Apple Product iMac 2012 and click Remove. Now, this device is no longer associated to your ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.