Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch id not working for a specific website

This is probably a simple fix but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm trying to get my touch ID to work for a certain website (my bank login) but the touch ID prompt doesn't appear. It used to appear but for some reason it has stopped. Is there a setting or something I need to change to get it to work again? It works on all other websites. Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 9:35 AM

If the specific Bank is not functioning only on laptop And the log in is part of Keychain - make a copy of details User ID and P/W before attempting the next step. Remove the specific Bank from Keychain, go to that bank on laptop and input the required and see of Safari offers to ADD to Keychain. If so Add it.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2021 9:35 AM in response to Wade G.

If the specific Bank is not functioning only on laptop And the log in is part of Keychain - make a copy of details User ID and P/W before attempting the next step. Remove the specific Bank from Keychain, go to that bank on laptop and input the required and see of Safari offers to ADD to Keychain. If so Add it.

Jan 4, 2021 4:39 PM in response to Wade G.

Wade G. wrote:

This is probably a simple fix but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm trying to get my touch ID to work for a certain website (my bank login) but the touch ID prompt doesn't appear. It used to appear but for some reason it has stopped. Is there a setting or something I need to change to get it to work again? It works on all other websites. Thanks.

What happens when you check bank app settings?

Jan 11, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Wade G.

Suggestion - Open Safari >> Preferences >> Privacy >> Manage Website Data. Now it will take some time for it to populate all the data. Once it is appearing ( Data ) Top Right of that screen Search and input to Name of the Offending Bank name. Once it appears click Remove all Data defined as related to that specific Bank.

Go back to normal Safari and to that Banks' Website and see if Touch ID is working.

Jan 11, 2021 7:44 PM in response to razmee209

Some web sites do not prompt for touch ID. And some don't allow the user to store their passwords either, requiring them to be manually re-entered every time. Some require two factor authentication. Many of such sites tend to be financial sites.

Your bank site might have changed its security posture and that might have changed the login process. You could certainly contact them to find out if it should be working on their site.

In the meantime, simply enter your password. If only all problems in life were this easy to solve ...

touch id not working for a specific website

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.