Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple let you upgrade your graphics card?

Hi There

About two mouths ago i order a new 27" imac (ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB). i mention to my concerns about the graphic card inside the imac but at the time i could do anything about it, its was the best i could get. What i would like to know is will Apple let people upgrade there graphics cards from the old 4850 512mb to the new 5750 1GB...

Thanks

iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 8GB Memory + ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512MB

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 7:38 PM

Card is soldered to the motherboard.
Only time you can change the graphics card is when you order a new Mac.
3 replies

Jul 28, 2010 8:17 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Actually the video card in the 27" iMac is not soldered on. But Apple does not support changing the video card, and the card in the new iMacs probably would not work in the previous model, so in essence your comment is correct.

Johnny, if makes you feel any better, this benchmark indicates that the 5750 doesn't significantly outperform the 4850. So you probably wouldn't see much benefit even if you could upgrade.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

Will Apple let you upgrade your graphics card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.