Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time zone keeps changing on me

I live in the Pacific Northwest. Lately when I turn on my desktop it switches my location and time zone to Pleasantville, N.Y. My date and time preferences are locked so I cannot understand why this is happening. I have to unlock them and manually reset my time zone. Anyone else have this problem?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:14 AM

Open the following website in Safari, and see if the default location (no need to enter anything) that it shows for your external IP address is in Oregon, or New York State. Do not post that privacy information back here.

Comcast is my ISP and it is using an external IP address for me that is located in Chicago, about 240 miles from where I connect to Comcast locally.

Do you have Location Services configured in System Preferences : Security & Privacy panel's Privacy pane to Enable Location Services? If you scroll down in that list of Location services, you will encounter System Services with a Details… button. With the Enable Location Services selected, click on that System Services Details… button. Mine looks like this:

And my Mac mini knows that I am not living in Illinois, and uses the Eastern time zone.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 7:14 AM in response to Holger Jensen

Open the following website in Safari, and see if the default location (no need to enter anything) that it shows for your external IP address is in Oregon, or New York State. Do not post that privacy information back here.

Comcast is my ISP and it is using an external IP address for me that is located in Chicago, about 240 miles from where I connect to Comcast locally.

Do you have Location Services configured in System Preferences : Security & Privacy panel's Privacy pane to Enable Location Services? If you scroll down in that list of Location services, you will encounter System Services with a Details… button. With the Enable Location Services selected, click on that System Services Details… button. Mine looks like this:

And my Mac mini knows that I am not living in Illinois, and uses the Eastern time zone.

Time zone keeps changing on me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.