Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone sync

Why doesn't the music on my iPhone transfer to my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 7:44 AM

It has never worked that way except for iTunes Store media purchases you have made.

Transfer iTunes Store purchases to your Mac [Mojave version] - This feature works only for media content (not apps) bought from the iTunes Store https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/transfer-purchases-from-a-mobile-device-itns255b2767/mac

6 replies

Jan 6, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you. I’m sorry to learn this but not very surprised. When I ended my subscription to Apple music, I saw that much of my playlist had disappeared along with a lot of music I’d transferred from LPs. I’ll try to find another way to store and listen to music that Apple can’t control. I have a few old iPods with their charging cords. And I guess I can buy a CD player. Again, thanks for your reply.

Jan 6, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Limnos

I’m sorry I don’t understand. I have a turntable that converts LPs to digital. And I’ve copied CDs onto my laptop. My wife’s family includes many actors and my son is a musician. I don’t believe I’ve ever pirated anything. Apple seems to have erased anything that I didn’t buy directly from them.

Jan 6, 2021 9:26 AM in response to sabby54

I don't subscribe to Apple Music which it sounds like you do. I know I have seen similar topics about personal music "disappearing" when using Apple Music but I don't even use the iTunes Store or do any syncing myself, plus I use a 15 year old version of iTunes. I have requested the topic be relocated to a forum for doing things like syncing and using Apple Music and hopefully somebody can recognize your problem and know the resolution. It may have something to do with what you have selected to display in iTunes or Music. For that matter, it would probably help others to know if you are using iTunes or Music. apps on the computer.

iPhone sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.