You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fraudulent Use of Debit Card to purchase through Apple

We found an enormous list of Apple charges on our bank statement for November - all various amounts totaling over $2000. Through much investigation, we have determined that someone used my debit card number to make these purchase on their apple account. We have gone back and forth with the bank and Apple - neither will refund the fraudulent charges. The accounts of everyone in our household have been checked. A senior apple person even verified that none of the charges where made on any apple account within our family/household, yet they've declined a refund, will not allow us to dispute that decision, and wont even tell us why. Our bank has also declined to help us based on Apple's decision. We have filed a police report, because a theft of over $2000 is a felony, however, we NEED that money back. What can we do?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 9:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 4:24 PM

All of my suggestions were meant to be. Sorry you did not appreciate the post, but it contained nothing but facts.

As I said, we are not Apple employees. And your issue is financial and/or bank card fraud. That is way beyond the scope of these technical forums. As volunteers, we help with technical problems using your Apple devices. We do not and cannot function as advocates, legal help, or anything similar. Besides, that would violate the ToU.

FWIW, asking online strangers about personal and critical fraud and/or legal problems is not a good way to get help. You should be in contact with professionals.

Good luck. Since you do not appreciate my efforts, this is my last post.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2021 4:24 PM in response to tmcm611

All of my suggestions were meant to be. Sorry you did not appreciate the post, but it contained nothing but facts.

As I said, we are not Apple employees. And your issue is financial and/or bank card fraud. That is way beyond the scope of these technical forums. As volunteers, we help with technical problems using your Apple devices. We do not and cannot function as advocates, legal help, or anything similar. Besides, that would violate the ToU.

FWIW, asking online strangers about personal and critical fraud and/or legal problems is not a good way to get help. You should be in contact with professionals.

Good luck. Since you do not appreciate my efforts, this is my last post.

Jan 6, 2021 10:58 AM in response to tmcm611

Let me preface by saying that there is absolutely nothing we can do to help. We are other users. We do not work for Apple and the ToU do not allow such conversations since they have nothing to do with a technical question. But.....

First, you really should check your account activity daily; that helps finding such things before they add up to this much.

Second, never use a debit card for any online purchases because you have no legal recourse. With a credit card you are usually only liable for $50 or so, but with a debit card, purchase amounts are immediately withdrawn and no one is obligated to reimburse you except the criminal(s).

Third, have you told your bank that they need to issue a new debit card immediately (and cancel the current one)? If you haven't, that should have been your first move.

Additionally, you should change ALL passwords; use very difficult ones (write them down somewhere where you can find them if needed).

Lastly, you can try to hire professionals who may find out who made the purchases and go after them with a civil suit or contact your homeowner's insurance to see if they will cover the theft.

Fraudulent Use of Debit Card to purchase through Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.