Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with the iPhone 12- crackling/clicking sound

Hi all,

I have a weird case going on with the iPhones. In my previous one (XR) and the one I recently bought (12), there seems to be some kind of a problem, but I'm not sure whether it is manufacturing defect or something else.

The problem is this- when my phone rings and I accept a call, immediately there's this crackling/clicking sound coming from the speakers for a fraction of a second. In the iPhone XR I kind of accepted it with the time, but now it's really starting to annoy me that it started again with the iPhone 12. With the iPhone 12 it appeared right when I turned it on for the first time, but I'm not sure when it started with the XR.

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 7:13 AM

Hello mmkostov,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand having clicking noises when you accept a call on your iPhone, and we'd be happy to look into this with you.

Just to confirm, did you notice these noises when using any other apps on your iPhone? Does it seem to happen when you receive a call from a specific contact or multiple? Are you experiencing this issue in different geographical locations? Also, does it happen when you accept a FaceTime call or a call from a third-party app on your iPhone?

Which iOS version is currently installed on your iPhone? Settings > General > About.

To get started, check to see if modifying these settings helps:

Change iPhone sounds and vibrations

Another thing we can check is to make sure that your iPhone is updated to the most recent iOS. It’s a good idea to backup your iPhone before updating. 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 7:13 AM in response to mmkostov

Hello mmkostov,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand having clicking noises when you accept a call on your iPhone, and we'd be happy to look into this with you.

Just to confirm, did you notice these noises when using any other apps on your iPhone? Does it seem to happen when you receive a call from a specific contact or multiple? Are you experiencing this issue in different geographical locations? Also, does it happen when you accept a FaceTime call or a call from a third-party app on your iPhone?

Which iOS version is currently installed on your iPhone? Settings > General > About.

To get started, check to see if modifying these settings helps:

Change iPhone sounds and vibrations

Another thing we can check is to make sure that your iPhone is updated to the most recent iOS. It’s a good idea to backup your iPhone before updating. 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Jan 11, 2021 1:33 PM in response to mmkostov

Hi mmkostov,

Thanks for getting back to us with those additional details. We understand your concern regarding your iPhone producing noises when you receive a call, so let's continue working on this together.

Are you experiencing the same behavior if you used headphones with your iPhone? Also, does it happen when you make calls as well?

If possible try to test with another SIM card(borrow one from family or friend) to see if that change this behavior.

Let's rule out simple solutions. Have you tried restarting the device normally?

Restart your iPhone  

Also, check your sound and notification settings to see if the sound is possibly coming from an app or notification:

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

We'll be waiting for your response. Cheers!

Jan 11, 2021 2:36 AM in response to Chris_C1

Hey Chris,

I am experiencing this clicking noise only when accepting a call, I haven't heard it so far from any app. It happens when I accept a call from anyone and it happens with the FaceTime too.

I am currently with the latest iOS version- 14.3.

I tried changing the Vibration and I'll see if this will change anything.

Jan 12, 2021 1:32 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply!

I don't usually use headphones that much, so I don't have an answer for that, but I'll check it as well. For the second question- it happens only when I'm receiving a call right when I accept it. A clicking sound after I slide to accept the call and after that nothing. I tried to restart the phone, but it doesn't work.

Yesterday I said that I tried changing the Vibration, but it didn't help. I'll try with a different SIM card later today.

Feb 15, 2021 9:06 PM in response to mmkostov

I have Xr too and that weird clicking sound coming from speakers too. When i accept the call everyone near by me can hear that weird clicking sound,than i realise that all eyes on me so it’s really annoying. Apple checked my iPhone for five times and they gave me new xr. But i have same problem with the new phone. I tried different sim card too.It didn’t help. Did you find any way about it

Problem with the iPhone 12- crackling/clicking sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.