Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 mac mini display keeps losing scaling

I just got an M1 Mac mini, and it's great! Except for one annoying problem so far: whenever my Mac comes back from sleep, my display scaling is messed up.

I have two monitors connected to it, a 4K HDR by LG and a 1080p by HP. The 4K monitor is set to be scaled to be "like 2560x1440," and that one will occasionally reset to be "like 1920x1080." When this happens, if I go back to the Displays system preference page, it'll be set back to "default for display." If I set it to "scaled" again, it won't actually update the scaling unless I set it to a different size (like 3840x2160) and go back to 2560x1440.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there any way to fix it so that my display settings stop getting messed up every time my machine wakes from sleep?

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 7:19 PM

Figured out a workaround to restore display scaling for my Mac mini M1 and LG HDR 4K display, using Hammerspoon (watch for display wake) and displayplacer (set resolution). Works for Big Sur 11.2 - hopefully won't need it in future updates.

The quirky thing is that for it to work properly, I have displayplacer set to a smaller resolution first, and then the desired resolution immediately after. It switches so fast you don't even see the smaller res. Here's sample code for Hammerspoon.

function displayWatch(eventType)
	if (eventType == hs.caffeinate.watcher.screensDidWake) then
		hs.execute("/opt/homebrew/bin/displayplacer 'id:XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX res:2560x1440 hz:60 color_depth:8 scaling:on origin:(0,0) degree:0'")
		hs.execute("/opt/homebrew/bin/displayplacer 'id:XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX res:3008x1692 hz:60 color_depth:8 scaling:on origin:(0,0) degree:0'")
	end
end

displayWatcher = hs.caffeinate.watcher.new(displayWatch)
displayWatcher:start()

Similar questions

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2021 7:19 PM in response to fluffy

Figured out a workaround to restore display scaling for my Mac mini M1 and LG HDR 4K display, using Hammerspoon (watch for display wake) and displayplacer (set resolution). Works for Big Sur 11.2 - hopefully won't need it in future updates.

The quirky thing is that for it to work properly, I have displayplacer set to a smaller resolution first, and then the desired resolution immediately after. It switches so fast you don't even see the smaller res. Here's sample code for Hammerspoon.

function displayWatch(eventType)
	if (eventType == hs.caffeinate.watcher.screensDidWake) then
		hs.execute("/opt/homebrew/bin/displayplacer 'id:XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX res:2560x1440 hz:60 color_depth:8 scaling:on origin:(0,0) degree:0'")
		hs.execute("/opt/homebrew/bin/displayplacer 'id:XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX res:3008x1692 hz:60 color_depth:8 scaling:on origin:(0,0) degree:0'")
	end
end

displayWatcher = hs.caffeinate.watcher.new(displayWatch)
displayWatcher:start()

Jan 23, 2021 2:32 PM in response to inzekt

Unfortunately, it seems that my monitor doesn't come up as supporting HDR when it goes through my Thunderbolt dock (even though it lists the HDMI port as being HDR-capable), and when my monitor is connected as SDR, the color profile is entirely unacceptable. So, I guess I'm just going to put up with this bug for a while longer. Hopefully it gets fixed by 11.3.

Jan 30, 2021 2:07 AM in response to fluffy

I'm just furious now... Finally, the last beta solved this scaling issue at least on the USB-C / Thunderbolt port. I happily installed the final 11.2 today and voilà the scaling is wrong again. I just can't believe that it's happening and considering the huge numbers of vga related issues, I'm hugely disappointed in Apple's competency solving this whole mess... I'm more upset because the other issues (kernel panics, bluetooth connectivity, etc.) as well combined with this... It's just not the experience I'm used to have with a new apple product... It's a shame.

Jan 30, 2021 4:37 AM in response to fluffy

Apple are aware of the issue and that it is a current inherent issue in the os, (not he hardware thank god (not ye anyway lol) )

I have two dell 4k displays... one in USB c and one in HDMI... the HDMI turns off every so often briefly, the resolutions are not similar between the two different outputs (same monitors though) and also does not automatically turn on from sleep.

Watching this space for fix.

Jan 30, 2021 8:37 AM in response to inzekt

These are the kinds of things that happen with new hardware and software platforms. Generally it takes time for weird issues like this to shake out.

Personally the M1 has been quite stable for me, and the number of issues I’ve had have been surprisingly few. This M1 mini has been WAY more reliable than the Intel iMac it replaced, anyway. But different people have different experiences with things.

Feb 3, 2021 8:02 PM in response to fluffy

I use a Mac mini M1 with LG HDR 4K via USB-C, and lose scaling whenever the display goes to sleep. I use displayplacer (see link below) to restore the correct scaling quickly. In my case, I made an Automator application that runs the shell script. Can also run the shell script or terminal command directly from BetterTouchTool assigned to a keyboard shortcut. Works fine with Big Sur macOS 11.2 so far.

https://github.com/jakehilborn/displayplacer

Feb 4, 2021 12:59 AM in response to fluffy

It's funny, that you're fine with it, but actually, I've been using apple computers for almost like 20 years and this is my first one what I have so much issue with it... Starting with bluetooth issues, finally It's been mostly resolved, but the bt range is still not good. Kernel panics... Sometimes I wake up the mac and it seems it has restarted itself recently, showing me a screen that it has been recovered from an error. The debug logs shows a watchdog kernel panic event. The external display and the whole graphics subsystem is kind of brittle... The screen starts to flicker without any reason sometimes, it generates vertical lines after a while, then the whole screen goes blank and the mini restarts itself... Then this constant scaling reset issue. So don't tell me, that it's cool with you, as I can see a LOT of people suffering with this. These issues should be addressed quickly.

Feb 4, 2021 1:06 AM in response to fluffy

Actually, the problem beneath is that Big Sur and M1 handles the display like an iPad, as the gfx subsystem is the same. The EDID parameter of the display should be read properly to be able to adjust itself, but seems like, it does not. The System report page shows that my display is a 5k UHD display, but It's only a 4k display, so there is an issue gathering that. My display is a hardware-calibrated type, so the Benq software is able to communicate with it and store the LUT profile inside the monitor itself. Since the upgrade the software is unable to do so, as it does not recognize it as of the changes in the gfx architecture in Big Sur and M1. A recent upgrade made it available, with some bugs and restrictions. Some developers complaining, that the way they used to operate with displays has been changed a lot and there is very little documentation about how to extract and work with EDID parameters, etc. Seems like this aspect of the OS has not been thought out well, so there is a different approach is needed.

M1 mac mini display keeps losing scaling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.