Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset macbook air

command R is not working. I have watched multiple Youtube videos, and nothing is working. What am I doing wrong?

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 7:14 PM

Hi sandrella256,

Does your MacBook Air contain the Apple M1 chip? If so, Command-R is dead. Follow these steps to enter macOS Recovery:

1. Shut down your MacBook Air (2020, M1).
  2. Press and hold the power button (Touch ID) until the screen says "Loading startup options".
  3. When the startup options window appears, select Options, then click Continue.
  4. Your Mac will now boot into macOS Recovery.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 7:14 PM in response to sandrella256

Hi sandrella256,

Does your MacBook Air contain the Apple M1 chip? If so, Command-R is dead. Follow these steps to enter macOS Recovery:

1. Shut down your MacBook Air (2020, M1).
  2. Press and hold the power button (Touch ID) until the screen says "Loading startup options".
  3. When the startup options window appears, select Options, then click Continue.
  4. Your Mac will now boot into macOS Recovery.

Jan 8, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Encryptor5000

It wouldn’t allow us to reload the MacOS. Since Mac changed the connectors AGAIN, I could not connect it to my old computer, or an external drive. I am waiting for the adapters. Hopefully, that will help solve the problem. Of course, it doesn’t help that I am in CA, and the Apple stores are closed. 😡 For now, I have a $1000 paperweight.

reset macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.