Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing AVI's in QuickTime

I have an older MacBook Air but I have the new OS Big Sur. I am trying to play large AVI clips from work so I can insert them in a PowerPoint. I am accessing these from my OneDrive however they will not play in QuickTime. I am not sure why since a friend has a MacBook Pro and hers will play when taking the same steps. Any suggestions on how to play and save AVI files to my MacBook Air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 7:33 AM

Modern QuickTime has abandoned AVI (and so should you, for precisely that reason). Older operating systems can play them in older versions of QuickTime.

Playing the files can be done with a different player software (e.g. VLC), but embedding/linking through PowerPoint is different. PowerPoint also supports MP4 videos in a .mp4/.m4v/.mov file. Use that instead. You may need to convert the AVI videos first. You can use HandBrake, ff·Works (FFmpeg), VLC, or any other capable converter software of your choosing.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2021 7:33 AM in response to cmccaw10

Modern QuickTime has abandoned AVI (and so should you, for precisely that reason). Older operating systems can play them in older versions of QuickTime.

Playing the files can be done with a different player software (e.g. VLC), but embedding/linking through PowerPoint is different. PowerPoint also supports MP4 videos in a .mp4/.m4v/.mov file. Use that instead. You may need to convert the AVI videos first. You can use HandBrake, ff·Works (FFmpeg), VLC, or any other capable converter software of your choosing.

Playing AVI's in QuickTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.