Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete photos from my iPhone without deleting them from iCloud?

can I delete photos from my iphone without deleting them from I cloud?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 10:55 AM

CJK95 Said:

"photos: can I delete photos from my iphone without deleting them from I cloud?"

-------

Yes - Disable Photos from syncing with iCloud. Elsewise, it'll just sync to how it should be.

Few Thoughts:

A. Was iCloud Photos Set Up?:

B. Any Backup of your iPhone?:

C. Log into iCloud:

If everything was syncing with iCloud, then BookmarksPhotos, and lots of other items would be obtainable from iCloud. So, go here to recover these: Recover Deleted Files on iCloud.com - Apple Support. But, just know if they are deleted from iCloud, then they are deleted and are gone. That's just the way it is :(

So, from here, I'd say, Backup your Current iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 10:55 AM in response to CJK95

CJK95 Said:

"photos: can I delete photos from my iphone without deleting them from I cloud?"

-------

Yes - Disable Photos from syncing with iCloud. Elsewise, it'll just sync to how it should be.

Few Thoughts:

A. Was iCloud Photos Set Up?:

B. Any Backup of your iPhone?:

C. Log into iCloud:

If everything was syncing with iCloud, then BookmarksPhotos, and lots of other items would be obtainable from iCloud. So, go here to recover these: Recover Deleted Files on iCloud.com - Apple Support. But, just know if they are deleted from iCloud, then they are deleted and are gone. That's just the way it is :(

So, from here, I'd say, Backup your Current iPhone.

Jan 8, 2021 4:34 PM in response to CJK95

CJK95 Said:

Q1. "Thank you. I am getting a new phone and don't want these photos on that phone - If I go to photos and turn off iCloud - remove from iPhone"

A1: To get them off, perform as instructed here. It's a matter of "reformatting" the iPhone so that it boots anew and nothing is on it. Go Here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Q2. "the photos will remain in icloud and delete from iPhone?"

A2: They will remain on the iPhone, but only if downloaded.

Q3: "will they come back on to the phone if I turn Icloud back on?"

A3: That would make no difference - downloaded or not. They will remain on your iPhone, and will be accessible when synced with iCloud.

Can I delete photos from my iPhone without deleting them from iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.