Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried factory resetting my mac now im in a boot loop and command r wont work

I need help asap pls. I erased literally everything on my mac and command r wont work and internet recovery mode just completes the bar and then boots back into internet recovery mode. I have no ideas as what to do

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 12:51 PM

Try holding Command-V (verbose mode) and hit enter on the MacOS Installer, unless you know that it's empty. Does that show anything?

Another thing you could try is making a bootable installer if you have a USB stick and another computer.

EDIT:

I believe that the firmware password is enabled, due to how Diagnostic mode sends you to Internet Recovery. However, you may have wiped the mode, so it may be downloading it. Does it restart when you let it sit?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 12:51 PM in response to elliottheppell

Try holding Command-V (verbose mode) and hit enter on the MacOS Installer, unless you know that it's empty. Does that show anything?

Another thing you could try is making a bootable installer if you have a USB stick and another computer.

EDIT:

I believe that the firmware password is enabled, due to how Diagnostic mode sends you to Internet Recovery. However, you may have wiped the mode, so it may be downloading it. Does it restart when you let it sit?

Jan 8, 2021 12:04 PM in response to elliottheppell

Hi,

Is this an Intel or a Apple Silicon mac? Using Apple Diagnostics mode might help.

If it is an Intel mac, hold D on startup until a screen shows, and hit Start. (If that doesn't work, try Option-D.)

After a while, a screen will show, telling you if there's anything wrong with your hardware. There will also be reference codes, described in this article:

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If that comes up with no errors, try resetting your NVRAM/PRAM by holding Command-Option-P-R during startup, and your mac will appear to restart. Keep holding these keys for about 20 seconds. Then boot into Internet Recovery.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend taking it into an Apple store.

I tried factory resetting my mac now im in a boot loop and command r wont work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.