Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working with G Drive (NTFS Formatted) on Mac

Is there a safe way to reformat a G - Drive to read and write to Mac?

The previous owner had formatted to NTFS but now it is crucial that I am able to write back onto this drive from a Mac and save important video files onto them. If I reformat now, with all files still stored on the drive, will I lose any files from it?

What is best way to do so if it can be done?

Thank you in advance

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 9:19 AM

Reformatting the G-Drive will erase all of the current files stored on it.

Before you do anything, you will need to backup or copy everything to another drive.

If you want to use the G-Drive with both Mac's and PC's, then you will need to format it MSDOS/ExFat.

If you want to use the G-Drive exclusively with Mac's, then you will want to format it GUID/Mac OS Extended.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2021 9:19 AM in response to cadeblanco

Reformatting the G-Drive will erase all of the current files stored on it.

Before you do anything, you will need to backup or copy everything to another drive.

If you want to use the G-Drive with both Mac's and PC's, then you will need to format it MSDOS/ExFat.

If you want to use the G-Drive exclusively with Mac's, then you will want to format it GUID/Mac OS Extended.

Working with G Drive (NTFS Formatted) on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.