Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Connect Samsung External SSD to 2020 iPad Pro

I just got a new Samsung T5 SSD to use with my 2020 iPad Pro. I transferred a bunch of files off my old laptop to the T5 with no problem (and activated the Samsung protection software). But, when I connect the T5 to the iPad (either directly from the T5 to the iPad with a USB C to C connection or through a hub with the old USB plug), Files only shows T5_Setup on the left side (where the external drive should show up). If I click on the T5_Setup, it shows four files listed (file names: SamsungPortableSSD.app, SamsungPortableSSD.exe, Samsung PortableSSD SW for Android, This is Read Only Partition). Clicking on any of these files doesn’t do anything.

I tried searching the App Store to see if there’s an app for Samsung Portable SSD, but I didn’t find anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Kevin

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 9:29 AM

Hello KevinDeLiban,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you want to use an external drive with your iPad Pro. We'll be happy to explain what you can do.

If it is compatible, you can use these steps to connect it and be able to browse: Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPad

Some devices might require formatting to the appropriate system format: File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac

Thanks and have a great day.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 9:29 AM in response to KevinDeLiban

Hello KevinDeLiban,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you want to use an external drive with your iPad Pro. We'll be happy to explain what you can do.

If it is compatible, you can use these steps to connect it and be able to browse: Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPad

Some devices might require formatting to the appropriate system format: File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac

Thanks and have a great day.

Jan 12, 2021 9:38 AM in response to KevinDeLiban

Your issue likely lies with activating the proprietary Samsung protection software; this is not compatible with your iPad.

iOS/iPadOS can only access storage devices that have a single data partition, formatted to FAT32, exFAT, APFS or legacy HFS+. The latter two are Apple Proprietary formats, whilst the first two are “universal” formats recognised by most Operating Systems. iOS/iPadOS14 also supports encrypted APFS.

The Samsung Application binaries that you list are similarly not compatible with the iPad Operating System. These Applications will not be recognised - and cannot run on your iPad.

Can’t Connect Samsung External SSD to 2020 iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.