Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stuck on login page

I login, then my MacBook returns to login screen and then will not accept my password

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 9:02 AM

Hi Pgaynor1968,

It sounds like you may have FileVault enabled, and your FileVault password is not the same as your user account password. I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Restart your Mac, then wait at the login screen for at least 1 minute. A message should then appear at the bottom of your screen. (If a message doesn't appear, stop here and let me know; this means that FileVault is disabled on your Mac.)
  2. Press and hold the power button until your Mac shuts off.
  3. Press the power button again to launch the Password Reset Assistant.
  4. Select "My password doesn't work when logging in".
  5. Enter your current password, then enter a new password (or use the same password as before).
  6. If successful, you should now be able to log into your user account.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 9:02 AM in response to Pgaynor1968

Hi Pgaynor1968,

It sounds like you may have FileVault enabled, and your FileVault password is not the same as your user account password. I'd recommend doing the following:

1. Restart your Mac, then wait at the login screen for at least 1 minute. A message should then appear at the bottom of your screen. (If a message doesn't appear, stop here and let me know; this means that FileVault is disabled on your Mac.)
  2. Press and hold the power button until your Mac shuts off.
  3. Press the power button again to launch the Password Reset Assistant.
  4. Select "My password doesn't work when logging in".
  5. Enter your current password, then enter a new password (or use the same password as before).
  6. If successful, you should now be able to log into your user account.

stuck on login page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.