Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Apple IDs, locked out of older one

Hi all,

I set up an email address ending mac.com around 1998 and an Apple ID associated with that. Maybe 2008 I migrated to a gmail.com for email and my "regular" Apple ID for iCloud and my phone and MacBook.

I only use the mac.com and its Apple ID for accessing that old email account once in a while. (I use that email address to sign up for things to avoid spam and dentist reminders). Anyway, I evidently forgot the password to the old account, and have tried to change it a bunch of times. The choices are "send me email instructions about how to reset" (which go to the email address I can't open) or "answer two security questions" and so far I can't remember exactly how I answered at least one of the two questions. Any other ways to get out of the loop?

Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 3:29 PM

Safe Mode worked! I haven't tried logging in without safe mode yet though.

Just in case, I will add no VPN, and I don't think any anti-virus programs. I use Clean My Mac weekly though.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 12, 2021 10:35 AM in response to Penningtongal

Hello Penningtongal,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you forgot the password for an old Apple ID and the email to recover is being sent to the email address you are unable to access. We would recommend taking a look at the following support article to reset the password.

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you are still unable to reset your password after working through this article, there is a link to contact Apple Support directly for additional assistance.

Best regards.

Jan 17, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Penningtongal

Have you tried deleting the account and adding it bCK?

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Also try the Safe Mode. 

Isolating an issue by using another user account   

Safe Mode - About.       

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin.    

Etrecheck – System Information.      

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Two Apple IDs, locked out of older one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.