Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't change permissions for a Final Cut Pro library that I stored on an external hard drive.

I can't change permissions for a Final Cut Pro library that I stored on an external hard drive.

Get error message:

"The document 'Document Name' could not be opened. Permission denied. Libraries require read and write permission."

All users have Read & Write permission enabled in the 'Get Info' box.

Other Final Cut Pro libraries, stored on the same external hard drive, open without any issues.

Help! It's imperative I can access this video project and make an edit!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 1:40 PM

Tried rebooting and resetting NVRAM but still had the same issue.

Then tried right-clicking the external drive > Get info > Sharing & Permissions > highlighting my name (read & write privilege) > clicking the little 'action' wheel and selecting 'Apply to enclosed items".

It took about an hour to perform this action but it changed every folder, sub-folder, file etc. in the external drive to allow for 'read & write privilege' for my user account. This worked! I was able to access the library again.

Thanks for your help and speedy responses!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 1:40 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tried rebooting and resetting NVRAM but still had the same issue.

Then tried right-clicking the external drive > Get info > Sharing & Permissions > highlighting my name (read & write privilege) > clicking the little 'action' wheel and selecting 'Apply to enclosed items".

It took about an hour to perform this action but it changed every folder, sub-folder, file etc. in the external drive to allow for 'read & write privilege' for my user account. This worked! I was able to access the library again.

Thanks for your help and speedy responses!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.