Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad won’t let me update pass 12.5.1

How do I update pass 12.5.1?

I am not given an option.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 2:32 PM

You don't.

Your iPad Air cannot upgrade/update beyond any version of iOS 12, currently at iOS 12.5.

The 2013 iPad Air 1, iPad Mini 2 and 2014 iPad Mini 3 have overall internal hardware that is too old, too underpowered and incapable of running all of the new, advanced and internal hardware resource intensive features of iPadOS.

Sorry.

There is one last thing you can try/attempt, if you need an older version of an app.

If you own much newer iOS device that can run either iOS 12 and.or iOS/iPadOS 13 and later, you can install the most recent app/s onto that more recent iOS device.

Then go back to your older iPad, open the iOS App Store, go to the Purchases section of the store app, search for the app/s you wish to try and download to that older iPad and see if an older version of the app is allowed to be downloaded/installed to that older iPad.

These newer iOS/iPadOS devices must use your same Apple ID user account and password.

Failing that OR IF NO joy, then there is nothing more to be done.

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a new iPad model OR a much “newer” , used iPad model capable of running the latest iPadOS versions. There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 2:32 PM in response to LJE2021

You don't.

Your iPad Air cannot upgrade/update beyond any version of iOS 12, currently at iOS 12.5.

The 2013 iPad Air 1, iPad Mini 2 and 2014 iPad Mini 3 have overall internal hardware that is too old, too underpowered and incapable of running all of the new, advanced and internal hardware resource intensive features of iPadOS.

Sorry.

There is one last thing you can try/attempt, if you need an older version of an app.

If you own much newer iOS device that can run either iOS 12 and.or iOS/iPadOS 13 and later, you can install the most recent app/s onto that more recent iOS device.

Then go back to your older iPad, open the iOS App Store, go to the Purchases section of the store app, search for the app/s you wish to try and download to that older iPad and see if an older version of the app is allowed to be downloaded/installed to that older iPad.

These newer iOS/iPadOS devices must use your same Apple ID user account and password.

Failing that OR IF NO joy, then there is nothing more to be done.

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a new iPad model OR a much “newer” , used iPad model capable of running the latest iPadOS versions. There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Feb 18, 2021 10:12 AM in response to MichelPM

You state in your response that old iPads cannot operate with 12.5.1 my 2013 ipad had a forced update from Apple to this version, why did Apple force the update if they know the machine cannot operate with the update?

Since the update the machine freezes, can barely be used for the internet and is practically useless.

There was no reason to change the unit before the update, it was working perfectly.

Mar 9, 2021 4:13 PM in response to Not Ammused

Similar to Not Amused above....On Sunday night (7th March 2021) Apple sent the 12.5.1 update to my 2014 iPad Air. My wife innocently installed the update which took approx 10mins. Then we noticed the wifi was off. The update has completely screwed the device. It switched off the wifi which was originally on, but now the wifi switch is greyed out and cant be switched on, making the device unusable. Bluetooth too is not working. Apple telephone support was no good so an appointment was booked to go to the local Apple store. The Apple store at Metro Centre Gateshead (England) were useless, trying various resets etc to no avail. Then to add insult to injury, said it must be a hardware fault. Rubbish.... this was completely caused by the upgrade forced by apple. I have never had a single problem before this with this device, but now it seems it is rendered useless and i believe also, so i have read, that once you take the step to upgrade to 12.5.1 there is no going back to a previous version anyway, even if i could get an internet connection. All the Apple store wanted to do for me was take more cash from my wallet for a like for like replacement iPad, at £229, but with only 90 days warranty!!! which i refuse to do on principle. Rip off....If problem was caused by Apple.... should be fixed by Apple.....irrespective of the warranty period of the device... because the problem is the software not the hardware!

😡😡😡

My iPad won’t let me update pass 12.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.