Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best portable ssd

I have an iPad Pro, 4th Gen running iPad OS 14.3 - what is the best portable SSD to use with it?

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 11:11 PM

I am currently using a Samsung T5 512 GBs SSD with my older, 2016, Lightning connector/port equipped, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro and with all the necessary adapters and external power, it is working just fine with my older iPad Pro.

In addition, the external drive needs to be re-formatted, using a Mac, NOT a Windows PC, into one of these file/data formats for use with any iPadOS capable iPad model.

Apple Mac native computer format.

APFS

FAT 32

exFat

Apple Website external drive help link here.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad1c415e32/ipados

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 11:11 PM in response to Rwgee

I am currently using a Samsung T5 512 GBs SSD with my older, 2016, Lightning connector/port equipped, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro and with all the necessary adapters and external power, it is working just fine with my older iPad Pro.

In addition, the external drive needs to be re-formatted, using a Mac, NOT a Windows PC, into one of these file/data formats for use with any iPadOS capable iPad model.

Apple Mac native computer format.

APFS

FAT 32

exFat

Apple Website external drive help link here.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad1c415e32/ipados

Jan 11, 2021 9:23 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks Michel - I’ve been looking at the 1 TB Samsung T5 but the manual says suitable OS’s are Windows and Mac, no mention of iPad OS and I’d hate to have to go through the return process (I’ll be buying online). Even Samsung’s online chat help didn’t leave me feeling too confident. Am I worrying too much?

Best portable ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.