You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro swelling battery

Hi,

My Macbook pro 2012 battery has started to swell really bad and has pushed up the trackpad and bottom of the computer cover. I contacted apple and they gave me an appointment for this coming week, but should I removed the battery in the meantime???

Also i see the out of warranty fee on the site says $129 but they quoted me almost $500 over the phone.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 3:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 5:15 PM

I will say it again after the bad advice now removed by our moderators. DON'T try messing with a defective battery. If you have ever seen a swollen Lithium battery become a ruptured Lithium battery you will know the next thing you need is a bucket of sand, and then a fire truck. If you are lucky you will not be injured, but even the small battery in an iPhone can get very exciting when it fails.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2021 5:15 PM in response to dartanyaco

I will say it again after the bad advice now removed by our moderators. DON'T try messing with a defective battery. If you have ever seen a swollen Lithium battery become a ruptured Lithium battery you will know the next thing you need is a bucket of sand, and then a fire truck. If you are lucky you will not be injured, but even the small battery in an iPhone can get very exciting when it fails.

macbook pro swelling battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.