Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Alert: Syncing with iPhone 10s will change more than 25% of your calendars, events or to dos on this computer.

I keep getting this alert on my Mac every time I charge my iPhone. This is on MacOS Catalina, MacBook Pro and iPhone 10s.

I restarted my phone and computer several but the bug has persisted. This has been going on since the Big Sur update.

Is this a virus?

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 4:41 AM

To both of you, connecting an iphone to a mac will not sync calendars unless you ask it to.

It sounds like somewhere maybe the Mac there is still an old On My Mac calendar. It says

“...on this computer”

My recommendation, backup the Mac as usual to Time Machine.

Make sure you have unchecked any sync options for calendar snd contacts. (see article below) Then sync.

OR hit the sync and clean it out.

The article below is what you should NOT be doing if you use iCloud to sync.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlf24d4e49/mac

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 4:41 AM in response to Community User

To both of you, connecting an iphone to a mac will not sync calendars unless you ask it to.

It sounds like somewhere maybe the Mac there is still an old On My Mac calendar. It says

“...on this computer”

My recommendation, backup the Mac as usual to Time Machine.

Make sure you have unchecked any sync options for calendar snd contacts. (see article below) Then sync.

OR hit the sync and clean it out.

The article below is what you should NOT be doing if you use iCloud to sync.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlf24d4e49/mac

Jan 19, 2021 7:00 PM in response to LD150

To be clear my calendar's events are syncing up just fine, if I add one on my iPhone or mac it goes on the other device and any changes made show up on both, so this alert is incorrect, but something is prompting it when I plug in my phone to charge it. It has something to do with charging my phone.

I have gone through my settings on iPhone and Mac a few times over the past few days, as mentioned, and compared both. I made sure the calendars are hosted on the same email accounts, removed any device only calendars and any inactive internet accounts.

I am still getting the same (+some more events to delete each time) erroneous and annoying error prompt on my mac every time I plug in my phone to charge it.

Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that should be happening in the Apple ecosystem.

I'm worried that this may be some kind of malware attack either on my mac, iPhone, or somehow embedded in my iCloud account. Is there a way to make sure it's not that?

Feb 10, 2021 10:07 PM in response to LD150

Thank you LD150, problem solved! Doing the opposite of what that article said worked!

Steps in Finder I took were:

1 • Plug iPhone as usual

2 • In a Finder window click on the iPhone where your hard drives are

3 • Click info on the right

4 • Untick the sync calendars button (since it already happens automatically via iCloud)

5 • Don't forget to hit the Apply button on the bottom right!

Should I also untick where it says 'Sync contacts'? It's supposed to already be happening through iCloud, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to 'Keep Contacts' or 'Remove Contacts', I'm force-quitting Finder for now to avoid any further issues.

Jan 12, 2021 8:52 AM in response to pentagramwookie

Sounds like your phone and your mac have the calendar etc hosted on different email accounts, or one or both are set up as device-only.

You will have to check

iphone - Settings Calendar, Accounts

Mac -System preferences, internet accounts

and compare how they are stored

Getting them back in line may be beyond the scope of a simple tech answer.

Sync Alert: Syncing with iPhone 10s will change more than 25% of your calendars, events or to dos on this computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.