Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rescue my old photos on iPhoto?

I have the same question as another user. What is .attr? I purchased a new 64-bit MacBook Pro and they transferred my data from my 8-year old MacBook to the new Pro. No iPhotos program--it disappeared. When I finally found the app, it wouldn't open and wanted to "upgrade" Photos. I stopped that, not knowing what I might lose. When I looked inside the app (control click, choose "Show package contents") - I got the year folders and the dates, but inside were a bunch of items ending in .attr and no photos I could see. Could not change the .appr to .jpg Help!

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 6:55 PM

You seem to be confusing the library and the app. All your images are in the library.

iPhoto was discontinued several years ago. Photos is the replacement. You should have let the process complete. To restart it, launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library from your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed, though it will be renamed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 6:55 PM in response to busydizzy

You seem to be confusing the library and the app. All your images are in the library.

iPhoto was discontinued several years ago. Photos is the replacement. You should have let the process complete. To restart it, launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library from your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed, though it will be renamed.

Jan 12, 2021 7:00 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks! I'll try that. When the computer store downloaded my old computer's info, it sent iPhotos into a folder that contained only icons with .attr that I couldn't open. I'll try to restore the iPhotos photos or check into Fat Cat. Thanks so much. They said it was the new 64-bit OS that killed my old iPhotos photos. Should have merged them with Photos long ago.

How do I rescue my old photos on iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.