Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: About system extensions and macOS

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You are "my" Apple. Why must I "contact developer" when Apple updates my computer? Do you realize how hard it is to contact developers?

Why must I "contact developer" when Apple updates my computer? Do you realize how hard it is to contact developers?

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 2:14 PM

Gail BERISH wrote:

Why must I "contact developer" when Apple updates my computer?

Because you have installed some 3rd party system modification that either isn't compatible anymore or won't be soon. Apple is doing this so you can either get this software updated or remove it. If you can't do either, then you might have to put off an upgrade and use the software to export any data into a more portable version. Otherwise, if you just update, you could lose access to your files.

Do you realize how hard it is to contact developers?

I'm a developer and people contact me all the time. But all developers are different. If you are having trouble contacting a developer or getting a response, then that is a very good sign that the software is no longer being supported. Apple can't help with 3rd party software. If the developer can't help either, then you're on your own.

You should probably remove the software, which can also be difficult.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2021 2:14 PM in response to Gail BERISH

Gail BERISH wrote:

Why must I "contact developer" when Apple updates my computer?

Because you have installed some 3rd party system modification that either isn't compatible anymore or won't be soon. Apple is doing this so you can either get this software updated or remove it. If you can't do either, then you might have to put off an upgrade and use the software to export any data into a more portable version. Otherwise, if you just update, you could lose access to your files.

Do you realize how hard it is to contact developers?

I'm a developer and people contact me all the time. But all developers are different. If you are having trouble contacting a developer or getting a response, then that is a very good sign that the software is no longer being supported. Apple can't help with 3rd party software. If the developer can't help either, then you're on your own.

You should probably remove the software, which can also be difficult.

Jan 29, 2021 2:51 PM in response to disFUNKtion

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be the offending app that's causing the problem.

Jan 12, 2021 7:40 AM in response to Gail BERISH

Because Apple is responsible for Apple products not third party apps. Third party apps are proprietary so only the developer can make changes to them. If you buy a Ford car and then add some third party gizmo to the car then Ford updates their car so that the gizmo no longer fits/works, do you expect ford to change the gizmo so that it works with the updated Ford?

You are "my" Apple. Why must I "contact developer" when Apple updates my computer? Do you realize how hard it is to contact developers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.