Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Today I started receiving a notice on my screen “cannot verify server identity The identity of ‘imap.Gmail.com’ cannot be verified. How do I get rid of this. It pops up every few seconds

Please see above This is on my iPhone. Updates are current

iPhone X

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 9:19 AM

Hey there TeresaNMUSD,

Based on your post it sounds like you're receiving a message of "Cannot verify server identity" on your iPhone using your Gmail account. Is that correct? We'll be happy to assist.

Does this seem to occur over multiple networks?

Keeping your device updated is good idea. Have you been able to test after restarting your device?

Are you using any VPN related apps on the iPhone? If so, can you disconnect from the VPN to see if that helps?

Do you have any profiles configured on the device?

If not, you can test the issue after resetting your network settings on the iPhone. This can be done in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Keep in mind this also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

Lastly, you can also try removing and adding the Gmail account back to isolate further. Take a look under "Remove your email account and set it up again" in the article below and keep us updated.

If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Warm regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 9:19 AM in response to TeresaNMUSD

Hey there TeresaNMUSD,

Based on your post it sounds like you're receiving a message of "Cannot verify server identity" on your iPhone using your Gmail account. Is that correct? We'll be happy to assist.

Does this seem to occur over multiple networks?

Keeping your device updated is good idea. Have you been able to test after restarting your device?

Are you using any VPN related apps on the iPhone? If so, can you disconnect from the VPN to see if that helps?

Do you have any profiles configured on the device?

If not, you can test the issue after resetting your network settings on the iPhone. This can be done in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Keep in mind this also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

Lastly, you can also try removing and adding the Gmail account back to isolate further. Take a look under "Remove your email account and set it up again" in the article below and keep us updated.

If you can't receive email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Warm regards.

Today I started receiving a notice on my screen “cannot verify server identity The identity of ‘imap.Gmail.com’ cannot be verified. How do I get rid of this. It pops up every few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.