Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac computer is starting up with a folder with a question mark in it what do I do ?

My Mac book is starting up with a folder with a question mark in it what do I do ?

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 1:36 PM

No, it isn't true. You should be able to reinstall the OS by booting into the Recovery Partition unless you somehow erased the entire hard drive. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 1:36 PM in response to rashonda179

No, it isn't true. You should be able to reinstall the OS by booting into the Recovery Partition unless you somehow erased the entire hard drive. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery

OS X Recovery

My Mac computer is starting up with a folder with a question mark in it what do I do ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.