Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo editing

I have just purchased a 27 inch Mac, and have wanted to edit photos for many years. I have never been good with computers, but have finally pulled the trigger on a nice computer, and I'm willing to learn, FINALLY.

Can anyone advise me where to start ? Any recommendations on tutorials ? Where do I find them ? Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 3:36 PM

Start with Photos.app, as that's the one that comes free with your Mac.

Here's a rule of thumb: In the edit mode start at the top of the list of tools and work your way down. Not every tool is relevant to every photograph, so some you might rarely use, some frequently.

There's no *right* edit. There is what works for your eye or what doesn't.

If you find that there is something you want to do with a photo but can't with Photos.app, then it's time to graduate to something more powerful.

Lastly, there are a million videos on YouTube around photo editing. Have a search and bring a note book...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 3:36 PM in response to BR007

Start with Photos.app, as that's the one that comes free with your Mac.

Here's a rule of thumb: In the edit mode start at the top of the list of tools and work your way down. Not every tool is relevant to every photograph, so some you might rarely use, some frequently.

There's no *right* edit. There is what works for your eye or what doesn't.

If you find that there is something you want to do with a photo but can't with Photos.app, then it's time to graduate to something more powerful.

Lastly, there are a million videos on YouTube around photo editing. Have a search and bring a note book...

Jan 12, 2021 3:44 PM in response to BR007

Hi.

What device are you using to take pictures? Phone? (iPhone?), camera? What. Do you also have an iPad? If you are using iPhone or iPad, you should consider using (and paying (a small amount) for) iCloud photos to keep your photos in sync accross all your devices.

If you are learning from scratch, there is a lot to be said for starting with Apple photos. It is there, you don't have to pay for it, it will do most of what you want - and there is lots of support.

When you've learned to use that, you'll have a much better idea of what you want to be able to do, whether the apple software can do it and whether you want to move on to bigger and better (and more expensive)

Youtube can be a great place for tutorials - though they vary a lot in quality. But they have the advantage that you can actually see what is happening, rather than having to imagine it from words and pictures.

As regards tutorials - here is a really useful search on apples own youtube channel. Just beware of anything older than a year, as it might start to look different from what you have on your new mac.

https://www.youtube.com/c/applesupport/search?query=photos

After that this youtube search lists a lot. Start with shorter ones on more basic topics. Try stuff out. If they spend too much time waffling, just move on to one that gets to the point quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=apple+photos+tutorial+2020

Good luck.

Photo editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.