Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS vs iPadOS

What are the differences between iOS and iPadOS? Can I use either for an iPad? How do I know which one I have now?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 1:35 PM

1. They're different names for the same OS.

2. Which name Apple uses depends on the unit and current version; there's only one for a specific configuration.

3. It's iPadOS in version 13 or newer on an iPad. Otherwise, it's iOS.

(190106)

2 replies

Jan 12, 2021 4:12 PM in response to rsblake73

Expanding upon Niel’s summary, up to and including iOS12, the differences between iOS for iPhone and iPad were relatively minor.

However, from iOS/iPadOS13, whilst iOS and iPadOS remain closely related, iPadOS differentiates from iOS in several significant features - in particular multi-tasking on iPad. These advanced features require the newer CPU/GPU derivatives that are optimised for iPad.

Apple has indicated that the iPadOS “fork” (a computing term that describes a divergence) will continue to incorporate more features that can be successfully implemented on large-format devices. As such, over time, we are likely to see greater differences between the iOS and iPadOS feature sets.

iOS vs iPadOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.