Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating...but then nothing happens?

Hi! I've tried updating my MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) to Big Sur for a while now, and everything seems fine... The laptop downloads the update for about 15 min, asks me for the administrator-password, asks to restart and I see the line filling up. After about 20 minutes, the "update" is finished and I log in... just to see that I still have Catalina?! I've tried this several times now but I just cannot update, it seems like. I have over 50 gb free space so that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know what to do? :(

(I cannot even update smaller things either, like system updates that doesn't involve OS. Laptop just shuts off & starts up without doing anything..)

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Marie

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 2:00 PM

Do you have "junk" installed such as an antivirus app or even worse, CleanMyMac?

If so, try installing while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 12, 2021 2:04 PM in response to mmariee

I might also add this, in case it gives away more info what may be wrong:

"I've done the steps multiple times and everything goes smoothly - until the laptop is shut off & turned on again (by itself). Each time the line surpasses the end point & should be finished, I log into my laptop just to see I still have Catalina.

I cannot update minor stuff either, since the laptop shuts off, the bar finishes all the way, turns on & I get a message saying " You have a new update" (which is the same update I tried to update haha)."

Jan 12, 2021 3:03 PM in response to dialabrain

This is so weird since I've tried to update for at least 2 weeks now without anything happening... but I decided to give it one last go before reporting and suddenly, my Mac has updated to Big Sur?!? I don't know what happened, I did the exact same steps as before but somehow it worked after the 100th try. Everything seems to be working fine and I finally have Big Sur, yay!

Thank you!

Updating...but then nothing happens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.