Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Macbook

My Macbook was stolen and the find My app showed its last location hours after it was stolen and then after some days it said no location found. Is there any other way to find it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 7:37 PM

Hi nono182,

Find My Mac is the only Apple service that can help retrieve your Mac.

If your MacBook Air was running macOS Catalina (10.15) or later, your Mac joins the Find My network by default (when you enabled Find My Mac). This means that if your Mac is offline, alive, and nearby another Apple device, the other Apple device will upload your Mac's location to Find My.

To further help in recovering your Mac, consider reporting to law enforcement and filing a police report that contains:

• The serial number of the Mac
  • The year and model of the Mac (MacBook Air 13", year)

Also, if your MacBook Air was made in 2018 or later, Activation Lock will prevent anyone from reactivating your Mac. That means that if a thief erases your Mac, they won't be able to reinstall macOS to set up the Mac as their own. The Mac will be bricked for everyone except you.

Best of luck in recovering your Mac!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 7:37 PM in response to nono182

Hi nono182,

Find My Mac is the only Apple service that can help retrieve your Mac.

If your MacBook Air was running macOS Catalina (10.15) or later, your Mac joins the Find My network by default (when you enabled Find My Mac). This means that if your Mac is offline, alive, and nearby another Apple device, the other Apple device will upload your Mac's location to Find My.

To further help in recovering your Mac, consider reporting to law enforcement and filing a police report that contains:

• The serial number of the Mac
  • The year and model of the Mac (MacBook Air 13", year)

Also, if your MacBook Air was made in 2018 or later, Activation Lock will prevent anyone from reactivating your Mac. That means that if a thief erases your Mac, they won't be able to reinstall macOS to set up the Mac as their own. The Mac will be bricked for everyone except you.

Best of luck in recovering your Mac!

Lost Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.