Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Projects in iMovie 10.2.2

I'm experiencing a lot of bugs and glitches with the newest iMovie update. Currently, the most frustrating one is that I have two projects that will not delete. I'm a virtual preschool teacher and I edit 15 videos per week. I typically delete the video in iMovie once it's been uploaded to YouTube (that's a whole different frustration!) but I have two that will not delete, even when I click continue. They just stay there. I've closed, restarted iMovie and laptop.

I'm working on a 2017 12 inch MacBook with BigSur 11.1

MacBook, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 8:54 AM

What steps are you taking to delete the project, and what happens when you try?

The project delete process is to open the projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons), and then move your cursor over the project icon to reveal a little circle with dots in it to the right of the title. When you click on the circle, a drop down menu will display an option to delete the project. If you want to permanently remove from your iMovie library the media that is contained in the project, then after deleting the project you need also to delete the Event in the media sidebar that bears the project's name. When you delete the project a message box will appear to notify you of that. However, be aware that deleting the project media event will remove the media from all other projects that may be accessing it, as well as permanently deleting it from you iMovie library.

If you are doing the above and still the project won't delete, then try deleting preferences and see if that will cure the problem. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears.

iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 8:54 AM in response to jwteacher

What steps are you taking to delete the project, and what happens when you try?

The project delete process is to open the projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons), and then move your cursor over the project icon to reveal a little circle with dots in it to the right of the title. When you click on the circle, a drop down menu will display an option to delete the project. If you want to permanently remove from your iMovie library the media that is contained in the project, then after deleting the project you need also to delete the Event in the media sidebar that bears the project's name. When you delete the project a message box will appear to notify you of that. However, be aware that deleting the project media event will remove the media from all other projects that may be accessing it, as well as permanently deleting it from you iMovie library.

If you are doing the above and still the project won't delete, then try deleting preferences and see if that will cure the problem. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears.

iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Jan 13, 2021 10:12 AM in response to jwteacher

Sometimes the delete project function doesn't work, for some unknown reason. Some people have found that by deleting the media from the project first, the deleting procedure for the project will then work. Another thing that has worked is to create a new library, move the project to it, and delete it from there.

In your case you had no projects in your iMovie library other than the one you were working on. So you could delete the library without deleting other projects. However, generally it is not advisable to move, modify, or delete anything from the Show Package Contents of an iMovie library, or you risk corrupting the library. And, of course, deleting the whole library will delete everything that it contains -- all projects, events, and media. If you delete the library you just have to make sure that you have copies of your original source media stored somewhere other than in your iMovie library or you will lose your source media when you delete the library.

-- Rich

Deleting Projects in iMovie 10.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.