Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS BigSur Update

Hi I have 1.97 TB of storage on my icloud right now and I have tried to update my 12-inch 2017 Mac with retina to the new MacOS Big Sur update and It says I don't have enough storage? am I buying storage to the wrong location? Can someone help me thank you!

MacBook

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 10:57 AM

See the following from How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

The storage needed is on your Mac, not on iCloud. Just buying more iCloud storage won't solve the issue although it may be able to help. See information in How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 10:57 AM in response to paulinagarcia

See the following from How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

The storage needed is on your Mac, not on iCloud. Just buying more iCloud storage won't solve the issue although it may be able to help. See information in How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

MacOS BigSur Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.