Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB file sharing not working with big sur

I have a new mac-mini M1 running big sur , had it 3 weeks, I have my old iMac running high sierra in the same room , I cannot access files/folders on the mini from the imac, spent hours and hours on this. I have folders specified as sharing and permission set to "everyone" , I press command+k on the imac and input the name or the ip address of the mini , the folder list pops up on the iMac but when i try to open one I get the message " you do not have permission ".

Same with any other device I attempt to access the mini from.

For example , I use SMB in kodi on an Nvidia shield and access my own videos stored on an external HDD on the iMac been doing this for years . Have now switched the HDD to the mini and Kodi cant access it anymore.

I can access/mount the folders on my iMac from the mini but not the other way around.

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 2:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 6:21 PM

Since I upgrade to Big Sur, I could no longer access my desktop or downloads from my mojave iMac.

Been pulling my hair out trying to get this working and eventually came across this, it silly but it worked.

https://www.stratospherix.com/articles/fb141019.php

really just involves turning on and off a couple of settings and hey presto, its all back.

God i hate updating . . .

stay well all . . . hope this helps someone.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 16, 2021 6:21 PM in response to joeontap

Since I upgrade to Big Sur, I could no longer access my desktop or downloads from my mojave iMac.

Been pulling my hair out trying to get this working and eventually came across this, it silly but it worked.

https://www.stratospherix.com/articles/fb141019.php

really just involves turning on and off a couple of settings and hey presto, its all back.

God i hate updating . . .

stay well all . . . hope this helps someone.

Jan 14, 2021 1:35 PM in response to hcsitas

Tx for replying , I wonder if I give a little more info whether you could offer some advice.

When setting up the mac-mini , I used the apple transfer option to switch all files, apps etc from my iMac to the Mini.

I set up a new username on the Mini but kept the same password.

Now I have noticed that when I boot up the Mini , it shows my new username and I can log in in the normal way, however if I open the finder , press "GO" then "HOME" , the username at the top of the screen is the one from my old iMac ??

Could this be an issue and if so how would I resolve it ?

Jan 14, 2021 9:34 PM in response to joeontap

It’s possible. Try creating a new account with the old username? Then make sure permissions and shares are set to allow both accounts full access. If that doesn’t work, reset the new mini to factory default and start over, but instead of using the migration tool, set up Apps and transfer data manually in sequence, not a big deal.

SMB file sharing not working with big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.