Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement HDD/ SSD in late 2013 27” iMac

My iMac is completely dead, I can’t even get to the disk utility screen, (I just have a picture of a folder after many minutes of listening to the heads crashing onto the disk).

If I buy an upgrade SSD kit from ifixit, where does the operating system boot from as I can no longer access the CMD R recovery drive? Could this be faulty also and what would be the procedure of repair for that?

Many thanks

Ollie.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 4:28 AM

Restoring from a time machine backup usually works best, but the 2013 models also support internet recovery (shift-option-CMD-r to reinstall the original OS; option-CMD-r to install Catalina). https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

A third option would be to create a bootable USB installer with another Mac.

Similar questions

1 reply

Replacement HDD/ SSD in late 2013 27” iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.