Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating my iMac

Im not able to update my iMac i recently bought it off of a flea market here on west broad street and i shouldve figured it would give me some issues.. i just want to know what can i do ? I’m not even sure which iMac it is to be completely honest

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 9:54 AM

Welcome!

As iMacs have been in continuous production since 1998 in four broad families and hundreds of variants, it is hard to answer this without the context of sub-model model information.

The serial number is the first step. Look on the outside of the case for the serial number. If the iMac has a metal "foot" that supports it, the serial number is on the bottom of that foot.

On older models the number can be screened onto the case or on a sticker, possible requiring you turn the computer upside down to find.

Once you find a serial number, go to this Apple support page and enter the serial number:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Although you do not likely have support coverage, the info return should report the important sub-model:

We need is the bit in parentheses; in the example image, "27-inch Mid 2010"

The Apple lookup may not work for very old Macs. In that case, you can use this third-party lookup function:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

Our knowing the iMac sub-model is key to your getting useful, problem-specific advice here. Without out it we either give overly-broad information or, worse, bad information. Neither makes you quest easier.

Even with a proper model designator, if the original owner did not properly follow the steps in this article before selling it on, you may never have full use of the computer:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Allan

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 9:54 AM in response to Chiquixx99

Welcome!

As iMacs have been in continuous production since 1998 in four broad families and hundreds of variants, it is hard to answer this without the context of sub-model model information.

The serial number is the first step. Look on the outside of the case for the serial number. If the iMac has a metal "foot" that supports it, the serial number is on the bottom of that foot.

On older models the number can be screened onto the case or on a sticker, possible requiring you turn the computer upside down to find.

Once you find a serial number, go to this Apple support page and enter the serial number:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Although you do not likely have support coverage, the info return should report the important sub-model:

We need is the bit in parentheses; in the example image, "27-inch Mid 2010"

The Apple lookup may not work for very old Macs. In that case, you can use this third-party lookup function:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

Our knowing the iMac sub-model is key to your getting useful, problem-specific advice here. Without out it we either give overly-broad information or, worse, bad information. Neither makes you quest easier.

Even with a proper model designator, if the original owner did not properly follow the steps in this article before selling it on, you may never have full use of the computer:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Allan

Updating my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.