Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to access Windows storage drives via Thunderbolt cable?

If I connect a thunderbolt cable from my MacBook Pro to my Windows computer, will I be able to access all of the storage drives on the Windows side? Is there a way to make all the Windows storage drives show up on my Mac as hard disk?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 11:25 AM

Forget Mac to PC over ThunderBolt-- it is two difficult.

If you can get each computer onto the Internet without re-cabling, you already have a good (but possibly slow) "highway" for sharing those drives. If you have an Ethernet connection, it is no longer slow.

Connect to a Windows computer from a Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 11:25 AM in response to LCMan

Forget Mac to PC over ThunderBolt-- it is two difficult.

If you can get each computer onto the Internet without re-cabling, you already have a good (but possibly slow) "highway" for sharing those drives. If you have an Ethernet connection, it is no longer slow.

Connect to a Windows computer from a Mac - Apple Support

Jan 14, 2021 11:44 AM in response to LCMan

Gigabit Ethernet (Built into your Mac and available when using cables with all eight conductors present) provides "near Hard drive" speeds. If your PC does not have Gigabit Ethernet, you can buy it an adapter for cheap. Some (but not all) Routers support gigabit Ethernet transfers, but whether they also support Jumbo frames varies by manufacturer and model.

I use Gigabit Ethernet for accessing files on my home Server. I use Gigabit Ethernet switches in my home network, because I discovered my default Router did not support jumbo frames.

Is it possible to access Windows storage drives via Thunderbolt cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.