Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad reset without passcode

My mom receieved a new iPad for Christmas so she gave me her old 2nd gen. iPad (old I know but still works great), which was restored to factory settings when she had her new one set up. I went through the set up process on the iPad, entering my Apple ID, etc. got it all set up but after I was done messing with it I locked it and went about my business. When I went to get back on it, it asked for a passcode. I thought maybe it was the passcode that I have set on my iPhone 8 Plus since I linked through Apple ID, except it asked for a 4-digit passcode and my phone is set to 6-digit. I've tried all the codes I could think of, and now it's disabled for an hour. How can I get back into the iPad to remove the passcode, or how can I factory reset again without being able to get into the iPad?? Everything I've read says it has to be hooked up to the last computer it was synched from, but it hasn't been synched since it was reset at her cellphone provider store when they set up her new one for her. HELP!

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 12:34 PM

Read the Apple Support document about what to do if you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled. Click here --> http://support.apple.com/HT204306

At the very end of the document it mentions briefly about possibly needing Apple ID account information to do this, but I have never seen anybody report encountering this. In order to keep this reply clear and brief I won't post about strings of eventualities you are very unlikely to encounter until you actually do so.

You will have to erase the device and set it up again. If you have never backed it up, some information may return if you have used iCloud to sync services such as Contacts. Otherwise anything you have changed is gone.

Each device can have its own passcode.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 12:34 PM in response to kinsey48

Read the Apple Support document about what to do if you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled. Click here --> http://support.apple.com/HT204306

At the very end of the document it mentions briefly about possibly needing Apple ID account information to do this, but I have never seen anybody report encountering this. In order to keep this reply clear and brief I won't post about strings of eventualities you are very unlikely to encounter until you actually do so.

You will have to erase the device and set it up again. If you have never backed it up, some information may return if you have used iCloud to sync services such as Contacts. Otherwise anything you have changed is gone.

Each device can have its own passcode.

Jan 14, 2021 12:49 PM in response to Limnos

The old gen. 2 iPad is what is asking for the passcode, after I set it up using my Apple ID. I didn't set a passcode on it, and she never had a passcode on it the years she had it. I wasn't sure if it somehow linked my passcode from my iPhone since I set up the iPad using Apple ID -- if so, I wouldn't know what to put as my iPhone passcode is 6-digit and this is asking for a 4-digit.

It isn't asking me to connect to iTunes....yet. It just says it's disabled for 60 minutes (I have tried about 4 different codes I thought it could possibly be and here we are.....)

I guess I need to factory reset it, but everything I've read says you need to do it from the computer with which it was last synched. I'm not sure what computer that would be because it hasn't been synched since the factory reset yesterday....

(I haven't tried to hook it up to the computer yet as I'm at work now...)

Jan 14, 2021 1:08 PM in response to kinsey48

I have never had to do that but I have seen many posts here saying just go to any computer that is a Mac or has iTunes on it. The syncing part probably refers to restoring content afterward. The resetting process basically erases all content so you need to restore from a backup if you want the settings and data content back, and you need to sync with iTunes/Music if you had media content.

iPad reset without passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.